With the release of our fifth annual OfferUp Recommerce Report, our excitement around the recommerce industry’s future has never been higher. With millions of new users buying and selling every day, the industry is continuing to experience persistent growth. What’s more, we’re seeing the rising popularity of resale lead to a notable decline in the stigma once attached to buying pre-owned, whether it’s tied to purchasing items for personal use or gift-giving.
Our 2023 report found that 85% of shoppers regularly buy and/or sell secondhand, an increase of 3% from last year, with 27% of them doing so for the first time, helping push the recommerce market’s projection to $276B by 2028.
The data also paints a picture of an increasingly diverse recommerce market, with 77% of transactions extending beyond apparel. Only 23% (less than 1 in 4) of the items sold through recommerce are clothing, while the remaining 77% is predominantly represented by categories such as electronics, furniture, home goods, home improvement, sporting goods, outdoor equipment, and auto parts.